Friday 13 January 2012

Applique


I don't know why it is, but autumn seems to be the time of year that I fancy trying something 'different'. Last autumn, I was wandering around the internet (as you do) when I came across the Don't Look Now! blog. As soon as the blog header appeared I though 'ooooh, I fancy having a go at that!'

I'd never tried appliqué so I didn't have a clue where to start. Fortunately, on the blog there is a super tutorial for a Flower Garden Pillow, so I downloaded the free pattern and instructions. I had a little go and absolutely loved the combination of raw edge appliqué and freestyle machine embroidery. I used Steam a Seam Lite2 to transfer the pattern pieces to the fabric. It takes time to do all the tracing, cutting and pressing but gosh, what fantastic stuff it is!

Here's the cushion I made for myself. OK so I've gone a bit wonky here and there on the appliqué  and the quilting is nothing to write home about... but I'm really, really pleased with it.


Don't look now! is based in Australia and I had a bit of a job finding the patterns here in the UK. I eventually tracked them down at Creative Quilting, I only intended  buying one pattern but ended up with three... oops!




On a trip to a nearby patchwork and quilting store, I bought a felt appliqué kit - Wooly Sheep by Rachel of Greenfield. I found that the easiest way to cut the felt pieces out was to use freezer paper.





While I was buying the felt sheep pattern, I came across the Art to Heart books by Nancy Halvorsen. I made this wallhanging as a Christmas gift for my elder daughter. It's a design from the Cottage Charms book... it was such fun to stitch! It's quite large, the hanger is a 22" one. My daughter has it hanging in her sewing room.



fabric, felt, buttons and beads... this was fun to stitch!





And the gift for my elder daughter was this cushion. I combined elements from my three Don't Look Now!  patterns to make up this finished design. My daughter has two mischievous cats, so I just had to include them...  on their collars are two tiny silver bells.



No comments: